"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Saturday, July 14, 2007

BEEF AND BROCCOLI OVERLOAD

On Friday for lunch about 12 of us went up to the Jumbo Chinese Buffet here in Harrisburg. We normally don't lunch in such large packs, but the spectacle was our first annual (and hopefully last) Jumbo Buffet Eating Contest.

Long story short, it was the closest I've ever come to a post contest reversal in the parking lot. Eaters know what I'm talking about. Right before you get into the car, you look at the door handle, then you look at the ground, then back at the door handle and think of that long ride home (or, in my case, the long afternoon of work ahead of me). Then you look back at the ground and think about making a target out of that cigarette butt with lipstick on it.

In the end, I did the right thing and used the 10 minute ride back to the office to tally the totals for each of the five eaters. When all was counted and double checked I edged Beau by a quarter pound to take the title: 4.27 pounds to his 3.92. Other totals included Josh at 3.4 pounds, Billy at 2.9 pounds and Dave the IT guy at 2.5 pounds. About one pound of my total was pudding. Beau ate two big plates of pudding; one pound banana and one pound chocolate. Other eaters tried various strategies. The giant plate of fried rice, giant plate of runny mashed potatoes, giant plate of meat on a stick, whole baby squids (Beau showing off).

By the way, the running joke about eating Chinese food and being hungry half an hour later? Not always true.

11 Comments:

Blogger Carey said...

In a similar episode, Pete and I went to Tony Luke's tonight so that I could tackle the Big Daddy Luke Burger challenge. You might remember seeing this challenge when we went on our Steak walk earlier this season. Joey Chestnut holds the record at 7 minutes, from what they told me.

11:51 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

I remember that. AND? How'd it go. I'm guessing not as well as you expected or you would have told me about it. Let me know the details? How'd the burger stack up to Denny's?

12:30 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

weird, could have sworn I wrote the results here, maybe I was still in a protein comatose. I did it in 24 minutes.

7:33 AM

 
Blogger la beauheme said...

This contest made for quite an interesting meeting as soon as I got back...I tried (in vain) to get the closest chair to the bathroom. And my motto remains "blame the dog".

9:08 AM

 
Blogger Carey said...

Beau, how could you let him win it? We are going to hear about his 'second' win of the season for a long time now.

12:15 PM

 
Blogger Liz said...

How'd you end up doing the weighing?

3:25 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

We bought two digital kitchen scales from Linens n Things and weighed each plate before and after and recorded the difference (two spectators were official weighers).

We then repackaged the scales (we never even took the plastic protective adhesive off the top) and returned them to the store good as new. Hey, someone needs to test that stuff out to make sure it works!

3:48 PM

 
Blogger The Rahn Family said...

so how many pounds did you eat Dave?

4:56 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

4.27 pounds

I'm done with Chinese food for at least a month.

4:31 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So Pres, am I getting this correct: you guys basically had dessert for a Chinese Buffet challenge?!? Say it isn't so! I mean passing up classics like General Tso's Chicken, Beef and Brocolli, Buhddist's Delight, etc. is dispicable! I think there should be a do'over for the title. Sounds to me like you got the "Bill Cosby's J-E-L-L-O Eating Badge." You and Beau can share. Just sayin....

12:36 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Yeah, you might say that. Although about three pounds of my total was still "regular food." But of that three pounds, about half of it was non-Chinese stuff like mashed potatoes, chicken nuggets and that salmon fillet swimming in that vat of butter water.

3:23 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home