"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

MYSTERIOUS DORITOS FLAVOR IS MYSTERIOUSLY DISAPPOINTING

I definitely ate more Doritos this past weekend during our campout than I do during most entire years. Partly because Doritos is running this special contest promotion thing involving a "mystery" flavor called X-13D. It comes packaged in a plain black bag with directions to visit the website to name the flavor based on whatever it is you think the mystery flavor tastes like. The only clue on the bag to the chip's flavor is "All American Classic."

So naturally when I was shopping for the campout and I saw these chips, I had to buy a bag. Somehow I resisted the urge to tear it open in the car and sample them right then and there. Instead, I waited until we were gathered at the campsite to dig in and guage the reactions of the rest of the gang. What I tasted was...strangly familiar. Definitely cheesy with something else mixed in. Several different flavors actually. Some sort of meat flavor danced across the left side of my tongue while something tangy skipped across the front. It was killing me. I knew that I'd tasted this before. But where?

(NOTE: Mystery flavor revealed in paragraph below, so skip it if you want to try some and judge for yourself.)

Campsite feedback ranged from some kind of seafood to hot dogs (which would fit in with the "All American Classic" clue on the bag). After some post-camping research online, it appears the mystery flavor isn't so mysterious after all. Most people agree that it's a very close rendition of a cheeseburger. More specifically, a McDonald's cheeseburger (possibly a cross promotion between the two companies). A post on Yahoo Answers reveals some interesting feedback, but most responses agree on the cheeseburger flavor. Personally, I think the concept of a cheeseburger flavored chip, while freakin' amazingly awesome, just doesn't seem to work here. Judge for yourself...if you can find a bag.

The Doritos X-13D website has an option for people to name the flavor. There's also an "Ad Generator" with two TV commercials which fans are asked to write the dialogue to. The spots are pretty funny, with the actors saying "blah blah blah" throughout. Is it just me or does the kid in the first commercial ("Perfect Mom") look like a dead ringer for a young Chip Simpson?

I tried to find a picture of the X-13D bag, but all I found was this bag of Doritos from Japan. I guess this flavor tastes like some dude jamming his foot in your crotch.

14 Comments:

Blogger SupersizedMeals.com said...

How about, "Fried corn substitute w/ Artificial Wheat and Beef Flavor (may contain traces of nuts)"

might be a bit long...

7:39 AM

 
Blogger A-Bomb said...

Hehe, as if Dave's comments and that Japanese bag aren't funny enough, Billy zings in with the flavor name .. good stuff, people!

9:42 AM

 
Blogger Carey said...

Only Dave would fall for a gimmick like that. So Dave, what did you guys spend more time discussing, the flavor, or the marketing aspect of the bag?
You guys actually get a chance to do stuff like hiking and fishing?

10:12 AM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

We did get some fishing in, but only caught a few tiny bass. Our paintball plans took a backseat to poker and, of course, eating (which you can do WHILE you play poker, which is nice). Bill brought his four-wheeler out, so we spent a lot of time tearing up the woods on that thing.

10:16 AM

 
Blogger steakbellie said...

love that bag.

Cheeseburger flavor. Thats hilarious...i wonder how toxic the mixture is to actually get that flavor without using any real meat or cheese?

Still, I will have to try....

1:35 PM

 
Blogger steakbellie said...

I just tried them! You're dead on..McDonalds Cheeseburger!!!!

3:31 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Not just a cheeseburger, but a MCDONALDS cheeseburger. That's what's weird.

Additional online hyphotheses point to the X-13D code name. X equals the flavor. The 13th letter of the alphabet is M (the 3rd is C) and then the D.

X = McD

3:35 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Odd, I've been eating the Quest bags lately but the ones I'm eating taste like they have hint of Lime on it.

7:12 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ditto...

6:30 PM

 
Blogger bluebird said...

i can taste the "lime" too, so maybe it's "key lime pie" or "apple pie"; i don't taste the meat although it's kind of spicy so maybe it's "chili lime" Yuk!!!

3:56 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

its mt dew

3:55 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My daughter and I were thinking more like a Fruit Loops flavor.

1:08 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is Mountain Dew, that anonymous person in the bottom was so right. Thanks, nice job figuring it out, I haven't tried it yet so I didn't know. Are you guys doing that quest???

12:43 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

dunno but the flavour stays on your hands all day :-(

7:11 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home