"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Sunday, June 03, 2007

JOEY CHESTNUT JUST MADE A JAPANESE MAN THROW UP IN HIS MOUTH A LITTLE BIT (AGAIN)

Joey Chestnut shocked no one in Pheonix this weekend by eating a shit ton of hot dogs. Fifty-nine-and-a-half hot dogs to be exact. Actually that is shocking and, of course, a new world record (beating Kobayashi's 53.75 set on Coney Island in 2006 by more than 10 percent).

It's a great performance and all, but I really don't see why he couldn't have eaten half a stinkin' hot dog more to make it an even six-oh. Seriously, "60" sounds much better than "59.5". I mean, come on Joey, half a hot dog.

All kidding aside, this may be a new hot dog record, but is it THE record? It seems the only record that matters is the one that's set on July 4th at the corner of Surf and Stillwell on Coney Island in front of 20,000 people on national television. This was a qualifier event and, while it's still an awesome feat (which would have been awesomer if it had been SIXTY), it still feels...different. No matter. In four weeks the question won't be IF a new Coney Island record will be set, but by how much and by how many people. My wild guess: Joey 54, Koby 56. Look for Bertoletti to flirt with the 50 mark too.

I don't think Kobayashi is capable of putting up more than 59.5. He's been eating and training for over seven years now and if he could eat that much, he'd have done it by now. What I'm counting on at Coney is a case of nerves keeping Joey's total in the mid-50s and him pushing Koby just enough to allow him to take another Mustard belt. I also wouldn't rule out a reversal by either one.

In related news, Joey Chestnut himself confirmed in a San Francisco Chronicle article that he fasted before his record-setting run (and between training runs) for not one, not two, but THREE days. Yes, no beer and pizza for him the night before. And you all though I was crazy for skipping dinner and breakfast before a contest.

9 Comments:

Blogger Carey said...

OK, I get it, I messed up. Not the type of move you would expect from the 2007 Nanticoke Pa Pierogi Champ!
Wow, three days, huh? I wonder how all those supplements play into it. He gets a load of protein as it is. What are the protein shakes for? And does anyone know the mix of amino acids that he does?

4:08 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Congrats on the pierogie title! The campsite was a little bit out of cell phone range, but I got your message. The first win is always the best.

Clearly Chestnut is in a league of his own, with his training methods and his performance (not a coincidence).

9:21 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Carey - I saw the article that said it was 20 pierogies as fast as you could eat them, but no time was given. How long did it take?

10:00 AM

 
Blogger Carey said...

Someone told me it was 3 minutes 40 seconds, but I thought I was downing them alot quicker than that. The city website will be posting video that I will be able to get a good time from.
Thanks Dave. That day, I was a god. Everyone was in shock when they saw the other guys had half a tray left. Much joy.

10:42 AM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Speaking of gods...how bout that Joey Chestnut character? Does smashing Koby's record make him the new odds on favorite to win at Coney this year or is he still the underdog? Almost as important, will we be in attendance to witness his march on history? (The answer to the last question is yes...we need to start planning.)

10:51 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I still don't know why you'd tip your hand like that. Why not let Koby think you were about the same as last year, and then really work it at the finals? I kinda think eaters are incapable of eating less than they physically can. I guess it makes it a fair fight to let Koby know where he stands, but this gives him a number and a month to make sure he can surpass Joey. Why give him that? I do think this will make a completely riveting competition and I do think Joey has a chance at beating the champ.

11:59 AM

 
Blogger steakbellie said...

I want Joey to win. I am completely stunned by his performance.

Eating five more than the record proves that he can hold them, but we really have to wait till they are side by side in the heat to know for sure who is the better eater. Joeys qualifier was in the AC.

Also remember that Koby was able to push himself past 50 for years when noone else could pass 25. Now that he has actual competition, I think he will finally reach his potential. You just cant look past Koby.

4:04 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

I hear you, Steakbellie. It's hard to predict what will happen when the two of them are side by side. It's an atmosphere unlike any other in CE and world's apart from any Nathan's qualifier.

I should also admit that I root for Koby in most contest, including Nathan's. Hard to explain why. He's what initially attracted me (and many others) to CE. My support of him is similar to my unwaivering support of Darryl Strawberry (the reason I became a baseball and Mets fan), even after he entered the whole drugs and sucking part of his career.

6:36 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

Dave, I will be going. Let's talk.

7:24 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home