"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Wednesday, May 30, 2007

ANOTHER THROWDOWN AT THE FUDD

Yesterday we took our most recent soon-to-be-departed intern, Chris, out to Fuddruckers in what has become a regular intern tradition at the advertising agency where I work. After conquering the Fudd's two-pounder a few months ago, Chris was feeling hungry and focused so he put the challenge to Beau and I to go head-to-head with him in a first-to-finish contest.

Before we dug into our burgers (two one-pound patties between two buns), Scott made what he thought was a safe offer: if anyone finishes in under 10 minutes, he'll buy the burger. Since we had to buy two one-pounders to make our monsters, each deuce cost around $15. Not one to pass up a free lunch, I plowed into my burger with "the works" and finished in 9 minutes, 30 seconds (that's me at right proudly displaying my clear mouth and brand new United Eaters of Pennsylvania shirt). The toughest part of that burger was that it was still piping hot from the grill. I had to separate the patties to let the bottom one cool off while I worked on the top patty (taking gulps of diet coke to cool it off in my mouth). Beau put his burger away at the 14 minute mark and Chris, conceding defeat, threw in the towel with some soggy bun and a few crickets left.

Oh yeah, the crickets. On Friday we had a scavenger hunt at work and one of the items on the list was a pack of dried "bacon and cheese" crickets from the science center gift shop in downtown Harrisburg. We took a pack of the insects to lunch and sprinkled them on Chris's burger before we got started when he wasn't looking. Normally I would never screw with another guy's food, especially in a contest, but he's an intern, so it's okay.

Here we are with our burgers before the contest. A few hours before we left for lunch, my UEPa shirt arrived from Cafe Press so I thought I'd put it to good use. I also got several of the UEPa/Dennys photo magnets and UEPa logo magnets. Enough for everyone, so the next time I see any UEPa members, I'll give you yours.

Here's a shot of what's left of Chris's burger. Those are two "crick-ettes" covered in mayo in the foreground. There were about 12 in the box and only three or four left when it was over. Chris said he noticed the box during the contest. A few bites later he crunched into his first cricket and just kept going. He's hardcore. Because that's how we train 'em.

A full set of pics can be found here.

12 Comments:

Blogger Carey said...

wow, really impressive finish. Both of you guys. Is that the first time you timed yourself with that thing?
Did you eat any of the crickets? How much is a box of those? I want to set a record of the most crickets eaten in one minute. What other flavors do they have?

8:21 AM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

How did I know you'd want to chow down on some crickets? They're only $1 a box. I think they also come in BBQ and sour cream and chives. Eating nasty stuff...now that's a good way to ensure that your record doesn't get broken. Worms, sheep testicles, pigs feet, Taco Bell tacos.

8:29 AM

 
Blogger Carey said...

Joe has the cicada record. Which is a great one to have, they only come out once every 17 years! Well, they have cycles and stuff, so you actually see them all the time. Yeah, bring me like 20 boxes of BBQ to the next meeting and I will reimburse you.

9:04 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

bring me 21 boxes.

1:00 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

so when are we going to get together?

1:06 PM

 
Blogger A-Bomb said...

Nice job, Dave!

2:22 PM

 
Blogger Liz said...

The picture with the crickets really grosses me out. Man, that intern really is hard core! Sweet job demolishing the burger, Dave.

3:37 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with MM, as a mediocre eater at best myself, I don't mind eating nasty shit to gain some street cred. I got to stop watching so much MTV, but I can't get enough of that sexy beast with the big belts and the spoonbread!

5:58 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are all some spoonbread and you know this! Actually it's good if prepared correctly. Food at comps usually sucks anyway. So whatev. Moving on. Awesome showing at Fudds. Best burgers ever. I think I'd hate speedeating something that good SO fast. Perhaps order a third burger for after the competition. Yea, when is the next meeting Pres. and what do we plow through? Pizza? Ice cream? Steak? Chilli Wimpiees?

12:32 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

I hear ya about speedeating something that good. Beau and I were talking that morning about how we just want to savor the burger and how it was a shame to put it away so fast.

That's my biggest CE dilemma. If I'm going to consume 10,000 calories in one sitting, I'd rather it not be by eating two large pizzas in 10 or 15 minutes. I'd prefer to spread those calories out over the course of an afternoon bbq with friends and eat lots of different things (burgers, brats, beer, mac & cheese, cake, pie, more burgers, more beer).

As for our next UEPa throwdown, this summer is tough with weddings, CE events and other things on everyone's calendars. Want to plan something in September?

Personally I'd like to get out to Coney on July 4 and check out Nathan's. Anyone up for that? Doesn't AICE do something that same day at a restaurant right next door (immediately after the Nathan's contest)?

2:07 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They do a burger competition. I have some pics from that last year, actually.

What you need to do is a road trip to Denver to eat the freakin' Beau Jo's challenge. Every time I go, I get depressed because their board of champions is in the bathroom and the most current date is from 2002. Seriously, I think you guys could bring some glory back to the challenge.

3:34 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

I'd love to visit Denver and chow down on some mile high grub. My only fear is that I'd never want to leave!

9:15 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home