"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Sunday, May 13, 2007

MY FIRST WIN OF THE SEASON

Yesterday our local brewery and favorite restaurant, Appalachian Brewing Company, celebrated their 10th anniversary with a daylong festival of activities, bands, food and beer. Beau, myself and an ABC regular, a man affectionately known as "Evil Bastard," signed up to be one of eight teams in the brewery's annual outhouse races. It's pretty much exactly what it sounds like. Evil Bastard sat in a real wooden outhouse on wheels (they made them specially for the competition) and Beau and I pushed like hell. We ended up winning both our heats to take home a kick ass trophy (of course it has an outhouse on it) which we plan to share with Evil Bastard on a rotating basis.

Beers at the festival were $2 all day, a price break I took full advantage of. What I wasn't prepared for was the FREE buffet of hot dogs, pulled pork, and other good stuff. Heather and I were planning to go out to dinner later that evening at one of our other favorite restaurants so, for four hours, I showed amazing willpower by walking past that buffet about a dozen times without eating a thing.

I find the act of restraint in the face of such temptation to be a very necessary part of the competitive eating training process (I train by not eating, that explains a lot). As someone who likes to eat and has a really difficult time passing up free food, it's never easy to say "no"-- especially for such a long time and when coupled with so many cheap beers -- but it really feels good to know that I can do it when I want to. The body and mind needs to know hunger and temptation and be in control of those urges, rather than letting those urges control the body and mind.

Plus it means I can eat like a pig later on.

13 Comments:

Blogger Carey said...

but imagine how much you would have saved at the restaurant if you attacked the buffet first! I was going to an expensive sushi restaurant last night, so I had 2 pounds of strawberries, four hotdogs, and a protein shake first. Boy was I able to take my time and appreciate the flavors of the food last night.

7:27 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

oh, congratulations on that first win. Wait a minute, that doesn't count!

7:28 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

YEah, my first eating win is still out there somewhere. Most of the local contests I'm keeping an eye on are in August-October. I think my next challenge will be personal. The Quad-Quad-Quad-Quad Stacker or the 24 egg omelet. The 100 nugget challenge is likely too. I want to video tape that one. ACtually, I'd like to videotape all of my contests, but I need to find some decent editing software.

7:29 AM

 
Blogger Carey said...

I got a good program with my camera. Do you do these on the weekend? Invite me over, I am only an hour and a half away.
BTW, good tip with the coolwhip, I am going to test it out!

8:29 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hola!
Carey, welcome to the exclusive list of people who are officially not welcome at a Nathan's Qualifier!

8:43 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

MM - maybe you can use the outhouse victory to launch you to victory @ Nathan's Qualifier this weekend!

Good Luck!
And if you should happen to receive the infamous letter, you're more than welcome in Delaplane, Virginia!

9:47 AM

 
Blogger Carey said...

Wait a minute, Dave, who knows alot of IFOCE competitors, is on standby, and I get booted, Dave are you competing now? I smell a Red Herring.

11:41 AM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

I have not received notification that my standby status has officially been upgraded to "eater". Unfortunately, I couldn't participate even if I wanted to. We've got family visiting the day of the Philly qualifier (May 26) and a full day of activities planned (including a possible wings throw-down between me and Heather's brother...he just doesn't know it yet).

Normally I would have showed up "just in case" and to hang out with the guys, but I screwed up and forgot to keep that day clear.

11:55 AM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Oh, and Carey, I'll definitely let you know when I'll be doing my personal challenges. I want to do a new one every month and it's kind of lame doing them by yourself in your living room, so some competitive company would be appreciated.

We'll switch out -- you come to my place one month and I'll see you on your turf the next.

11:58 AM

 
Blogger Carey said...

btw, just got back from my headquarters here in the WG at the Wendy's. They added a new sandwich to the value menu. Buffalo chicken sandwich. We now have 14 items on the menu.

1:44 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did someone say Wendy's dollar menu challenge picnic style? Oh wait, that was just me. Damn it, Dave. Thought you were going to make it to strawberries if not Nathan's. Neither?! Both events will be stacked with respected eaters and you are having family day. How dare you have a normal life!

3:23 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

Ian, you're on. Next time Dave comes this way we will re-visit the WDM challenge, this time with 14 items, and a 30 minute time limit.

4:00 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Let's get it on the calendar. I'll post in a few days my personal plans for eating challenges through the end of the year.

9:31 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home