"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Sunday, November 26, 2006

WHY DO I DO THIS TO MYSELF? (SERIOUSLY, WHY?)

A few days ago, SuperSizedMeals.com posted something about a man who failed to reach his goal of eating 27.5 Wendy's nuggets in one sitting (he would eat 26 before calling it quits). It was all the inspiration I needed. At 5:35 pm this evening, I walked into the McDonalds on Front Street in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania and ordered 80 chicken McNuggets. My heart and stomach swelled with pride when the cashier screamed to the crew in the back, "Y'all better drop some more nuggets! Like a lot!"

Damn right. What follows is a pictoral account of my attempt to eat all four 20-piece orders in under one hour. For the record, yes, I know I used McDonald's nuggets instead of Wendy's nuggets. It was simply a matter of personal preference. In the Flickr photo set linked at the bottom of this post, you'll find a picture of two Wendy's nuggets side-by-side with their Mickey D's brethren and you'll notice both artery cloggers are eerily similar in size and shape.

Me and my prize
This is a shot of me showing off my bowl 'o nuggets. This was also the bowl I used to weigh the little bastards (just shy of 2.75 pounds).


Nuggets and Pete
My Boston Terrier, Pete, keeps an eye on my nuggets. Normally he'd get yelled at for getting that close to my food with that look in his eye, but not this time. Dipping sauces are visible in the foreground. From left to right: barbeque, sweet and sour, honey mustard and buffalo sauce (just like the stuff they use on buffalo wings). During the latter, nauseous stages of the contest, I used considerably less spicy buffalo sauce.


Nugget number 50
Tearing into nugget #50 around the 12 minute mark. I wasn't speed eating (like I would during a timed contest against other eaters), but I was eating a slightly faster pace than I would normally. Early in the contest, I was popping one and sometimes two nuggets at a time. By nugget 50 I'd slowed to one.


10 more nuggets
Around nugget #60 I hit "the wall." I was startled at how quickly it overtook me. One second the nuggets were going down fine and two nuggets later I was starting to sweat (literally!). Here I am taking a breather 25 minutes into the attempt with 10 nuggets remaining. By this time I was no longer popping them into my mouth whole, I was taking half-nugget (or smaller) bites.


80 Nuggets Down
Done! I pushed myself to get the last three down during the final minute and finished with an official time of 29 minutes and 57 seconds. Before I started, I thought I'd only be able to do between 50 and 60. But, in the minutes after I'd completed the admittedly disgusting feat, I was confident that I could have downed another 20 over the next half hour to lay claim to 100 in one hour. Oh well, another day.

A complete set of pictures can be seen here.

UPDATE: 24-hours later, the effects of the nuggets on my body are debatable. I woke up at 4:30 this morning with an incredible thirst (a byproduct of taking in 370 percent of my daily intake of sodium) which couldn't be quenched. I tossed and turned for about an hour before rolling out of bed. Besides feeling generally slow and groggy today, I'm also coming down with a cold. I get only one or two mild colds each year, so this is either a coincidence or somehow the nuggets have eroded my immune system and have left me vulnerable to all sorts of diseases. Syphillis, dandruff, dyslexia...I can only imagine what's next.

9 Comments:

Blogger A-Bomb said...

IF you're OK tomorrow I'll be interested in how you're going to work this defilation off! Big EWWWW, but good job nevertheless, D!!

10:48 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brave Man.... So many offenses against nature I'm seeing here. I feel bad for your digestive system, the chickens involved, your bathroom and most of all anyone else that would need to use it afterwards. I think you'd do less dammage to yourself by drinking shots of Liquid Plumber.

9:59 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see your dog is named after everyone's favorate eater... or not.

1:54 PM

 
Blogger steakbellie said...

I LOVE your personal challenges, they are so inspiring!

Poor Petey didnt get any?

2:14 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is great. Love it.

3:33 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good job, Munch. Now, next time see how fast you can down 80. The sad thing is that the guy that inspired this stunt didn't take down even 1 lb of nuggets. I think that means you own him now.

7:31 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

"OK tomorrow" is subject to interpretation, SKinnyboy, but no major worries.

The post-contest effects that different foods have on my body have always fascinated me. It's like I'm my own personal science experiment. A little of this, a little of that and next thing you know stuff is spewing out the top of the test tube and someone's running for the eyewash station. Ooops!

Coward - Yeah, I'd like to do something timed, but I'm not going anywhere near anything "nugget" related for a while.

9:25 PM

 
Blogger A-Bomb said...

MM, I had to look at the nutritional info..

Chicken McNuggets (20 piece) 11.3 oz (320 g)

calories 840
cal from fat 440
total fat 49g
% dv fat 75
saturated fat 11g
% dv sat fat 53
trans fat 5g
cholesterol 125mg
% dv chol 41
sodium 2240mg
% dv sodium 93
carbs 51g
% dv carbs 17
fiber 0

but there is some good stuff too!

vit A 6% rda
vit C 6% rda
calcium 4% rda
iron 15% rda

10:58 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Yeah, that looks bad! Especially when you multiply those numbers by four (3360 calories, 212 percent of my daily intake of sat fat).

I guess you could look at it this way (and I tell people this when they ask how I stay in shape): That was the only meal I ate that day. From a calorie intake standpoint, I was only about 860 over what I should normally consume in a day. I know there's more to it than calories, but don't tell my sensible side that!

7:45 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home