"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Friday, December 22, 2006

I'M GOING TO WING BOWL BEE-OTCHES!

Not as a competitor, of course, but as a drunken, riotous spectator. Sure, the 20,000 seats sold out 24 hours after the sale started, but that's what eBay is for. I tried to find a Wing Bowl 15 logo to include here, but the one on the WIP website can't be copied, so I made my own. That's it on the right.

Doors open at 5 am on February 3rd and the event kicks off at 6, so the plan is for the three of us to take the train from Harrisburg to Philly the night before, meet up with an old Navy buddy I haven't seen in seven years for a night of whatever happens and get down to the Wachovia Center around 4 am for some pre-event debauchery (basically, drinking and other festivities in the parking lot before the contest).

In honor of the eaters who will be performing the next day, Beau (the winner of our recent Taco Bell contest), Carey (the Navy buddy who's been bitten by the CE bug) and myself will be doing a little competitive eating of our own the night before.

I'm pretty stoked about the whole thing. A day off from work, chowing down, hanging out with friends, drinking at dawn for the first time in pretty much ever and watching Steakbellie and the gang gorge on some wings. What's not to love?

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, good luck! Maybe bring some padding and a helmet to battle the crowds.

11:19 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVE your version of the logo!!!!

Glad you guys are coming..it's gonna be awesome!!!

11:36 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm going down with 6 guys, so if ya run dry we'll be fully stocked.

7:30 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Yeah, I'm really looking forward to it. I just hope I'm not 10 years too old to really enjoy it. I'm banking on it helping me relive my rowdier Navy days of hitting the punk clubs in Providence.

Philly Guy - Email me your cell # and if it's not too crazy, I'll give you a call in the parking lot. Also, like I said, we'll be doing some eating the night before if you and some friends want to throw down with us.

10:06 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

That's a good idea meeting up with Philly Guy the night before. Do we know what places are going to be open all night?

11:28 AM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Not sure. Hopefully we can get out of work around 3ish in order to get into Philly and meet up with you by 6. That way we can grab some grub at a decent hour and still catch some Z's (if we feel like crashing for a few) before getting over to the event.

I'll be counting on you and your Philly prowess (even though you're a preppy Abington boy...ha!) to get us through the night in one piece. ALTHOUGH, Philly Guy is currently living in a war zone in West Philly...he should be able to help out too!

7:43 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We could have a cheesesteak tour, then kegs in the parking lot.

1:19 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Talking about the warzone I love in, 2 killings this weekend within 6 blocks of my house put the kill count to 400 in Philly for the year.

1:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't know you used to work at Old Navy.

2:57 PM

 
Blogger Dan said...

I haven't been to Wing Bowl since the killing fields of 2000 that shook me to my very core. Headed up this year to hook up with a bunch of pals, including a friend who was actually at Wing Bowl The First. Should be fun and we're planning a post-WB stop at Tony Luke's and then, well, who knows...

1:42 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home