"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Friday, September 28, 2007

FRENCH FRIED PERTATERS

For all you potato fans out there, tomorrow Cherry Crest Farms (in Lancaster County, PA) is hosting its second annual Potato Fest. The one day ode to the tuber features potato sack races, potato slinging contests, a menu of potato-related food offerings and, of course, a potato eating contest (one potato, first to finish wins). I might actually make it down there. Partly for the contest and partly because it's in Lancaster County and I've been looking for a chance to try out my new camera.

I'm trying to call them to find out when exactly the contest is. I'll let y'all know if I find out.

UPDATE: Just spoke with a very nice woman at Cherry Crest Farms and she said there will be TWO potato eating contests. One at noon and one at 4pm. The contest is open to as many as would like to participate (sign up at least 15 minutes prior) and the tater will be baked. If the interest is high enough, they will hold a series of heats with the winners facing off in a final round.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

All I can say is let's hope the potatoes are cooked and not raw... Watch out for Sean Gordon. I think he lives in your of the woods.

3:04 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

I was actually hoping for raw, but I just learned that they'll be cooked. Which means it's anyone's game. Seriously...it seems like one baked potato can disappear pretty quickly.

As for "Gooey" Sean Gordon, he doesn't scare me.

3:54 PM

 
Blogger Wild Bill said...

I also heard that it's like $14 just to get into the event. Doesn't seem like the entertainment ROI is going to be good. Good luck if you go, though!

5:21 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Wasn't aware of the $14 cover charge. Hmmm...wondering if sack races and hot potato is worth it.

9:34 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

"...it seems like one baked potato can disappear pretty quickly. "
And how long did it take you to eat the baked potato you got at the fair?

12:14 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Ahh...I savored that one, so it took me at least 12 seconds.

By the way, I'm not going to this event. The one hour drive and Wild Bill's observation convinced me not to.

2:44 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh, your post's title reminds me of Sling Blade and the beginning of our relationship - good times. Were you trying to be romantic?

5:08 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I might be the boone of southeastern pa local contests but this one was definitely short on roi even for me. Good call Bill.

8:10 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home