"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

A LITTLE GOES A LONG WAY

Some of you know that I donate the dollar value equivalent of all food I consume in eating contests to America's Second Harvest. It's a great charity. Every dollar you donate helps deliver 20 pounds of food to families in need across the U.S.

I get emails from them now and then and today's email was well timed because I forgot to give for the whopping one shoofly pie I ate this past weekend. Even though the pies are worth about $5 each, I decided to up the ante a bit to cover the four untouched pies that were stacked neatly in front of me. I assume they went to waste; not boxed up and resold. (Yecch!)

Today's email said that rising gas prices have resulted in the double whammy of more families strapped for cash (and thus in need of help) and higher costs for America's Second Harvest to make deliveries. Three cheers for the fucking oil companies on that one. Consequently, ASH is over $600,000 behind budget, and the fiscal year closes at the end of June. I'm not sure what that really means, but it made me move pretty quickly. If you feel like doing the same, go here. You can donate as little or as much as you want and all you need is a credit card.

2 Comments:

Blogger Carey said...

When are you going to be heading over to Coney? Who else is going? I am up for it, but I hate driving into New York, especially after thursday evening.

8:36 AM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Still debating whether to go. But if we do, we should drive up the night before and get a hotel. You up for the hotel/night before thing?

I found a place the Golden Gate Motor Inn in south Brooklyn, just minutes from Coney Island. They have the cheapest rates BY FAR ($80-$100). It pretty much sounds like a shithole from the reviews, but I don't care.

If anyone else is up for a Coney Island road trip, let me know.

5:20 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home