"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

SHOOFLY LINE-UP

I just got an email from Kate Westfall over in the IFOCE offices. She said a spot opened up in this weekend's shoofly contest and she offered it to me. I actually had to think about it for a few minutes. I was going to be there either way, but mentally I just wasn't prepared to eat four days from now. Of course, I ultimately accepted the spot. Over the next 96 hours I will endure my usual "mental toughness" training process. Look out "other eaters"...we all know how effective that process can be.

Speaking of other eaters, Kate was kind enough to give me the scoop on who will be in on this year's molasses mayhem. The list of notables includes Pat Bertoletti, Sonya Thomas, Bob Shoudt, Hall Hunt, Juliet Lee, Steakbellie, The Mad Greek, Wild Bill Myers, Brian Subich, The Sane Greek and Russ Keeler.

The most notable exception is Eater X, who won the event two years ago and finished just behind Bob in last year's contest. It just won't be the same without him, but this is definitely the most star-packed table in the contest's history. Should be a good show. Now if you'll excuse me, I've got a shoofly contest to cram for.

10 Comments:

Blogger A-Bomb said...

Good for you, D! Scoring some fantasy points!

http://dogsarefunyes.blogspot.com

5:00 PM

 
Blogger A-Bomb said...

Holy shit! I just saw the lineup .. must read completely.

5:02 PM

 
Blogger Liz said...

Yea! I wonder if Tim's eating pig's feet...

6:17 PM

 
Blogger RM1(SS) (ret) said...

I've got a shoofly contest to cram for.

Cram it, Dave!

12:00 AM

 
Blogger steakbellie said...

I count FIVE Meatseats!
Hooligans continue to freefall!

6:26 AM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Yeah, yeah. The Hooligans are stalled. We're taking a breather. You know, like when you're at the buffet, after your third plate and you just sort of sit there shooting the breeze and nursing a diet coke. We just have to relax, find a burp and come back chewing.

I'm hoping my participation here will inspire the team to have a strong second half of the season.

7:22 AM

 
Blogger Carey said...

Good luck Dave. I won't be there to root you on, so just remember this when you are up there, Swallow, swallow, swallow.....

8:14 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's awesome you are getting in this! I did think it was shitty you were only a standby when you first signed-up despite the fact you did it last year. Nonetheless, congrats and get ready for some pie! If only it were poon-tang.....

9:29 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

http://mcdonalds.com/usa/eat/features/burgers.html

http://www.burgerconitson.com

9:53 AM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Funny you should mention that, Invader. I hear George Shea is thinking about incorporating that "pie" reference into his eater introductions.

7:17 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home