"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

CHEW, SWALLOW, REPEAT

I really wish I knew more about the competitive eating training process. That is, the part of the process designed to increase stomach capacity though various stomach stretching "exercises." I'm trying to cram some training in before this Saturday's shoofly contest and I have no freakin' idea if what what I'm doing is even doing me any good (or harm).

Today I ate three peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for lunch and chugged two liters of water. Did that really do anything for me besides makes me feel a little woozy right before my 1:30 meeting? I don't know. Can repeating that process again tonight and twice tomorrow really make a difference before Saturday? I don't know.

I can't wait until "The Science of Speed Eating" airs on July 9. That show might answer some of my questions. Or raise a whole bunch of new ones.

5 Comments:

Blogger Carey said...

I don't know what three PBJ's are gonna do. To give you an example of what I've been doing, I had 10 oscar myer hotdogs without buns (speed training) in less than a minute the other night, followed by 4 hamburgers with buns, and a banana. And then I downed a 32 ounce water, and a big bowl of ice cream. The Ice cream wasn't to help train, per se, it was just there.

4:39 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know what you're saying with the ice cream. Same reason I'm missing curtains.

8:10 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

dude, you're supposed to munch the rug, not the curtains.

5:50 AM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

The PBJs were my lunch, foo. I'll train my speed eating technique using large quantities of food, but I just can't justify eating all those calories for stomach stretching exercises that I'm not really sure are working in the first place.

That's why I go with the water. I guess I could try your 6 pound salads if I needed a low-cal alternative.

At this point (72 hours before the contest), I think these exercises are going to help me more psychologically than physically. Is there a gastroenterologist reading this who cares to chime in?

7:15 AM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Scratch the above. Today I ate a large pizza for lunch and chased it with a liter-and-a-half of water. So much for avoiding massive amounts of calories.

1:12 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home