"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Monday, March 12, 2007

HOT DIGGETY DOG!

Not coincidentally, just as a warm spell hits the northeast and melts away the last of the Valentine's Day snowstorm, registration for the Nathan's Famous Hot Dog Eating Contest is finally open on NathansFamous.com. Yes, the 2007 eating season is upon us. (And no, the MLE season doesn't start with the New Year. The handful of contests held between January and now are like Spring Training...just a precursor to the real action that happens between April and October.)

I signed up for the Philadelphia qualifier on May 26 and the QVC qualifier on June 28. Registration actually opened sometime yesterday or late Saturday. I checked the site every 12 hours or so for the last three weeks, so it figures that they'd start it during the day-and-a-half that I wasn't online. Hopefully I can get into at least one of them. If I get into the QVC qualifier, I really have to bring it. That's traditionally the last qualifier of the season and I don't want to take a spot at the table if I can't do AT LEAST the deuce (20 HDBs). Last year it took Seaver Miller 21.5 dogs to win and it's probably going to take 25 to do it this year.

I also hope I find out soon whether or not I got a spot at the table in one or both events. I'd like to start preparing mentally and physically. I should start prepping regardless. Nathan's or no Nathan's, I've got a busy season of eating ahead of me.

9 Comments:

Blogger A-Bomb said...

It's all good, D. I had ckecked last night and registration wasn't open. This morning it was. So you didn't miss out on much..

12:55 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SWEET!!!

2:41 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

I must have been the first to register then. 5:15 am! Anyone going to Hartford?

4:25 PM

 
Blogger steakbellie said...

nice
I'll see you at least TWICE this year!

5:13 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I actually gave it a whirl and threw my name on there.... just to see what happens, you know.

9:00 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is cool that some of the independant eaters registered . it would be nice to see what wing tut dave and some others can bring to the table. Good luck

1:39 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm getting at least 50, I'm calling it now. The twist is you don't know if its total hot dogs, grams of fat, calories, or number of hot dogs I get beaten by.

2:50 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Yeah, it'd be interesting to see at least one surprize appearance at the final table...either by an indy or someone outside the top 20 or 30 ranked eaters.

Philly Guy - You're going to do 50 HDBs? As in two-and-a-half deuces? Just warn me which qualifier you're going to do that in, just so I know ahead of time that I'll be going for second place.

4:57 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

Phillyguy, I will get 51. That's 51 more weeks before I actually qualify for a Nathan's Famous Hot Dog eating contest.

12:11 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home