"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Saturday, September 02, 2006

Now THIS is a road trip

This is what I love about food, especially oversized food. It inspires people to write, plan, dream, and travel. Like these guys.

Tanker and Splash -- two regular joes from New Brusnwick, Canada -- have
started a blog about their ongoing plan to drive 14 hours to attempt "Ye Old 96'er" at Denny's Beer Barrel Pub in Clearfield, Pennsylvania . (Most of you already know, that's the 6-pound burger -- 11 pounds dressed -- that catpulted Kate Stelnick to instant eating fame when she became the first person ever to finish it within the 3-hour time limit.)

They're hitting the road in the "Burgermobile" on Friday, September 14 and hope to be having a late lunch at Denny's the following day. Below is an excerpt from their blog and a picture of them at right.

"We're getting older now, Tanker and Splash, and it occurs to us that we may not have many more years to travel the roads around these parts. On a quick whim and with some hasty planning, it was decided, solidly, that Tanker and Splash will ride again. And we're going to find that burger if it kills us."

In recent posts, the pair announced the addition of two more Cannucks to their travelling party: Seamus O'Toole (please tell me that's his real name, because it is awesome!) and "Eager Al." According to Tanker and Splash, Seamus sweats a lot, but is "good at fixing engineered things," so he'll come in handy if the "Burgermobile" breaks down.

I really admire these guys' determination. I live two stinkin' hours from Denny's Beer Barrel Pub and my friends and I have been "talking about" going up there for about six months now and still nothing. Hats off to Tanker, Splash, Seamus and Eager Al for finally making it happen. Hell, if they'd let me (and if I weren't such a lazy schlub), I'd fly up to Saint John, New Brunswick just to make the 14-hour road trip with them.

7 Comments:

Blogger steakbellie said...

As a guy, I have great respect and admiration for the adventurous spirit these men are showing. It's the stuff of good books and movies to go off into the sunset and attempt an improbably feat such as this. All of this with your best friend at your side.

Think of the adventure they will have, think of the great stories they will always tell, THINK of how disappointed they will be when I pop out of the bushes as they pull in, with my large 'Closed For Renovations' sign.

1:34 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

oddly, i live 1 1/2 hours away and have never been there either.

What are we waiting for?
Gas prices to go down maybe?

5:02 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Steakbellie, you are one evil bastard. (I must be too, because that makes me laugh out loud just thinking of it.)

Yeah, these same friends and I have been "talking about" doing the Paulisaurus Pizza Challenge in NJ, but that's like four hours away so I guess that'll NEVER freakin' happen.

5:49 PM

 
Blogger steakbellie said...

Actually Dave, I have an even sicker idea.

We show up the day before they are supposed to be there, and say we're the guys from Nova Scotia. We bring scotch for the cooks, we talk with the owners and teach them Scottish drinking songs. We call the local paper to watch the whole thing...we have the Mayor show up and tell him and have him declare it Novia Scotia Day. We get everybody so stinking drunk , they tell us how much they LOVE US and we exchange addresses because we are blood brothers.

The next day the REAL guys pull into the restaraunt....

10:08 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

...and Denny would say to Tanker and Splash, "Quit jerkin' me around! The real Nova Scotia boys showed up yesterday! You call that a Canadian accent?"

Denny would mock them: " 'We drove aboot 14 hours from our hoose in Canada, eh!' "

Tanker and Splash would go home thinking Americans are a bunch of pompous assholes. Armed with their newfound rage, they build "Tanker & Splash's Burger Hoose" and come out with a 100-pound burger that makes Denny's 50-pounder look like a happy meal offering by comparison.

7:57 AM

 
Blogger steakbellie said...

wouldnt that just be wonderful though? Especially if we were published in that days paper. I would feel like I had finally done something important with my life.

2:04 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Is it me or is that Splash is Russell Crow in Disguise?!?!?!

10:32 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home