"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Saturday, September 30, 2006

Hot dogs and mass reversals

Round 1 - With my 10 dogsJust got back from the Lancaster hot dog contest. I've got some soul searching to do about my future in competitive eating, because I pretty much sucked. First place and $500 went to Sean Gordon from Philly (he and I competed in the shoo fly contest in Lancaster earlier this year). Sean ate 13 and a half dogs and buns in 10 minutes. Some guy from Pittsburgh took second place ($250) with 13 dogs and third place ($100 and a guy with more piercings than dogs eaten) ate 10 and a half.

I ate 9 and a half. NINE AND ONE STINKIN' HALF. Pathetic.

It was my first time ever eating hot dogs for an extended period of time. I was hoping for somewhere between 12 and 15 in 10 minutes, but I fell short. If I'd hit my goal I might be $500 richer. If I'd bothered to practice or run some stretching exercises in the days and weeks beforehand, I might be $500 richer. I can keep beating myself up, but I won't.

All in all, it was a fun event. There were 19 total competitors, which they split up into three separate 10 minute contests. I was in the first round. Every round had a least on "reversal of fortune," either during the contest or immediately after. Unfortunately, there was only one puke bucket, but there was plenty of grass behind the table.
Round 2 - Showing off the barf
The guy in the photo at right was eating next to a guy who suffered a reversal during the second contest. He started to heave around the 7 minute mark and his hand went up to his mouth. Unfortunately, he couldn't stop the flow as a fountain of hot dog chunks spewed from under his hand and all over this guy's shirt. Yeah, nasty.

I've never seen so many reversals in a contest before (five of the 19 competitors). I have a feeling the combination of large prize money and amateur eaters pushing themselves too hard probably had something to do with it. The crappy hot dogs didn't help either. No taste whatsoever.

Round 1 - Me and the Drill SeargentFor this contest I tried using some music to get me pumped up (a little Rob Zombie and Pantera). It was a good thing too, because the contest organizer was yelling in everyone's ear like a drill seargent. "How bad do you want that $500?! Do you want it?! DO YOU WANT IT?!" Yeah, a little annoying. I survived boot camp once (Navy), and was in no mood to relive it. But he was cool otherwise. That's him screaming at someone over my shoulder on the left.

Enjoy more pictures here, including a few of a guy who called himself Ryan "The Gutworm" Miller. He had his own t-shirt made up for the contest and brought a small cheering section (complete with signs). It was his first ever eating event. I talked to him beforehand and he claimed to have never even heard of the IFOCE, even though he's doing a pretty good impression of Eric the Red with his red headbands and arm bands.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

God damn it! The only contest I don't go to is the one where my numbers would win.

6:03 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Yeah man! Where were you? Maybe next year. I asked the guy afterwords if he was going to do it again and he said maybe.

But be careful, it was a witch hunt. Anybody suspected of being "pro" was interrogated and threatened with being DQ'd. I'm not ranked, so I don't consider myself a "pro".

6:07 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you get my e-mail about the other contest?

8:23 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did you get my e-mail about the other contest?

8:23 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

At least you know you didn't train or stretch at all, which gives you some explanation.
With CE growing, it's hard to walk into any contest and win without having prepared.

keep on keeping on

Eat More, Eat Fast, WING TUT!!!

8:57 PM

 
Blogger A-Bomb said...

Wow! Those dogs look pretty fat, munch, and BOILED?!?! That's good eats!! 9 1/2 of those, and no training, is not too shabby!!

1:48 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Thanks for the encouragement guys. Yeah, I'm trying not to be too hard on myself.

7:24 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave - It was cool meeting you and I look forward to competing against you again soon. I was just lucky that I squeaked out another one.

The hot dogs weren't very good. Thick and very boiled. There were at least 200 extra left over.

8:22 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home