"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

THE NEXT UEPa MEETING: STEAKS IN ALLENTOWN?

I hate to admit it, but Ian made a good point in the last post about the somewhat low incentive to visit RU Hungry in State College and annihiliate the Fat Bitch sandwich. With that in mind, I payed a visit to the challenges database over on EatFeats (we love you, OJ) and found a place called Gregory's Steakhouse in Allentown, PA.

Gregory's is sort of like the Big Texan of the north, complete with a website claim of "the biggest and best steak you'll ever have." The Big Texan has a legendary 72-ounce steak challenge and Gregory's also has a 72-ouncer on its menu. They've got a 96-ouncer and a 120-ouncer too, but I don't think anyone is man enough to try those (except for John Candy in The Great Outdoors).

I don't know if Gregory's has an "eat it and it's free" incentive, but I'll bet I can talk them into it if I tell them the UEPa is coming and bringing some media attention with us. If so, would anyone be up for giant steaks on July 12 or 13?

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I obviously do not want to be the stick-in-the-mud so I am glad the Pres. sees where I am coming from.

"The World's Largest Steak" 120 oz. Ribeye (steak for 4)... HA!

I am laughing now but should laugh after it is eaten in the event I can complEAT it. Hey, you never know! For all you know, this could be cooked like the ones at JR's!

With that in mind, if Mr. Gregory at Gregory's Steakhouse is willing to comp this 120oz piece for those to finish, count me in for the 12th. Perhaps the media incentive will boost their interest???

Also, Niner Diner sounds good as well as Jim's Steaks. Don't tell me PA is running out of challenges?!?!

1:51 PM

 
Blogger Wild Bill said...

Been to Gregorys on their "all-you-can-eat" Monday night steak deals. They give you a good steak for the first one, then gristly, shouldn't be calling them steaks after that. Google them and read the reviews.

I highly doubt that you can talk them into comping any of the steaks. Good luck with that.

Jim's Steaks will only comp if you beat Humble Bob's record, which is 13.

2:23 PM

 
Blogger Liz said...

Make sure there's a "fat and gristle" understanding before you start the steaks :-)

5:15 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

Perfect. I will go for that one, always wanted to do a steak challenge.

12:12 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm so going to house a reasonably sized steak.

1:09 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Ian, there is NO WAY you're going to eat a 120 ounce steak! If Gregory's isn't willing to pay for your steak, I'LL PAY FOR IT if you finish it. Ain't happening, bro.

Either way, I'll write a news release about our visit and your 120-ounce attempt, run it by the Gregory's staff and see if the lure of media attention (and us dropping a few hundred bucks in there) is enough to convince them to cough up a free steak or two.

4:23 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can go for some steak.

Russ K

8:47 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

why, just last night I tore into a 6 ounce steak in preparations. It is on.

8:30 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have a deal, Mega. If I can actually eat this steak, you will cover it? Done. Set the date, times, etc. and I'll come with a bib, John Candy style...

3:46 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home