"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

HERE COMES THE UEPa!

Yesterday I got a call at work from a guy in Clearfield. It seems Denny from the burger mecca of the world, Denny's Beer Barrel Pub, wants to take out an ad in the local paper to announce, at least in part, the United Eater's of Pennsylvania's plan to visit Denny's this Saturday for our first "annual meeting." The ad is scheduled to run in this Friday's paper.

The ad will include the UEPa logo (that's it in the right hand column of this blog) that was created by the great Steakbellie himself just a few weeks ago. It will also encourage all other aspiring eaters to come to Denny's and join us for our open meeting. The more the merrier. After all, as anyone in competitive eating (or anyone who served on a submarine) can tell you, we're used to eating at crowded tables. At last count, according to a recent Wing Tut blog entry, the line-up at Denny's will include:

"The Boy King" Derek "Wing Tut" Payne
Ian "The Invader" Hickman
Pete "Broken Wing" Maurizio
Micah "Wing Kong" Collins
Eric "Steakbellie" Livingston*
...and myself

* Steakbellie is on the roster but is listed as "questionable" due to impending family "obligations." "Gooey" Sean Gordon will, coincidentally, also be at Denny's that day, about three hours before us as part of a family gathering. If ANYONE else wants to come, let either myself or Wing Tut know. I'll be travelling from Harrisburg and Tut will be coming up from Philly, so if you're near one of those areas and want to hitch a ride, chances are one of us has an extra seat.

13 Comments:

Blogger steakbellie said...

I've been upgraded to probable!

10:48 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck guys. I'm staying away for politial reasons, but someone should get the clean plate club that day.

2:08 PM

 
Blogger steakbellie said...

Philly Guy, If you need a ride send me an email

2:41 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

"Political reasons"? I hope you mean mid-term election reasons and not IFOCE/AICE reasons.

If it's the latter, don't sweat it...this is a politics free meeting, where the right, left and middle grounds of competitive eating can come together over the one true equalizer we all share: GIANT FOOD.

3:16 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Will picnic style rules be in force?

3:46 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I live in Pittsburgh!!!

Do not confuse Derek "Wing Tut" Payne with the sorry son of a gun who used my name for the Philly Wing Bowl last year...and chunked!!

I competed in Pittsburgh Wing Bowl prior to the Philly Wing Bowl, and have already discussed rights to the name with the imposter.

It is all mine!

4:10 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Wow! Sorry about that Tut. This whole time I thought you were from Philly. That's actually pretty cool that you're from Pittsburgh, because that means we have UEPa representation from the east, west and central part of the state.

8:19 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hell's yeah!

and to answer OJ.... nope.

10:50 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My throat is infected, but if it can clear up by then there is a chance I'll show up.

12:30 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wing Tut was a Philly Wing Bowl name long before Bill "El Wingador" Simmons ever thought about entering the contest. The Pitts Wing Bowl must be very old.

1:49 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Throat infection?! I'll bring a blender, you can liquify your burger and drink it through a straw!

4:03 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, it's my name now!!!

and I intend to keep it.

You want it, come and get it.

If I lose, it's yours.

But I'll always be "the boy king!"

4:13 PM

 
Blogger A-Bomb said...

About the comment you left on my blog: Yeah, MM, I'm wondering the same thing! It's really unreal what's going on! Hey, good luck today - you might have already done it by now but good luck or congratulations as the case may be.

5:05 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home