"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

I suck, but I'm working on it

Yesterday a few friends and I had lunch at The Spot as part of a training session for this weekend's hot dog eating contest. Gotta say, I wasn't too pleased with my performance. In fact, I got beat by Brad, our computer guy. (In my defense, he's not a geeky, pocket protector type of computer guy. He's actually a hell of an eater and if he'd ever quit his second job he might be able to win a few of these weekend contests.)

The test was four plain dogs for each of us and a side of fries to chow down on while the rest of our crew ate their meals at a more human-like pace. I went over my goal time of two minutes, which I'm not too surprized about considering I used no technique and the dogs were piping hot off the grill which made for some pretty awkward simultaneous biting and drinking to put out the fire. I even got a little blister on the roof of mouth, right behind my front teeth, but it shouldn't slow me down this weekend.

The owner of the place is an awesome guy and he was really stoked to hear that I (and maybe Brad) would be in this weekend's contest. He made a big deal out of it, making sure we had water and a stopwatch and announcing it to everyone within earshot, which is pretty much the whole place because it's so small.

Since I lost, I picked up the tab. Friday we're stepping it up to six dogs. I can't afford to lose again.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hint: don't separate if piping hot. the bun will guard you against juices squirting and burning your mouth. just keep 'em together, dunk and chomp.

12:59 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

NOW you tell me!

Today we're gonna let them stand for a few minutes...especially since I'll be separating the dog from the bun and Japaneseing it. I really need to find a technique and stick the hell to it.

8:03 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

just my opinion.
"japaneseing it" works for some, but I found that the taste of the dogs by themselves became nauseating when not masked by soaking wet bun

2:43 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Once again, NOW you tell me!

I did it, and the six dogs went down just fine. Tasted great! Then I dunked that first bun in the water (Wow, do those things soak up a lot of water!) and slurped it into my mouth.

I knew immediately that I had screwed up. The bun went down easy, but the feeling of that soggy, doughy mess in my mouth made me queasy. My only other option was eating the remaining buns regular style and I knew that wasn't gonna happen. Not only would that take forever, but I also had that image of that soggy bun still lingering in my mind.

I definitely agree that keeping hot dog and bun together is the way to go. Or learning to fight that nausea.

11:06 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here are some links that I believe will be interested

3:01 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting website with a lot of resources and detailed explanations.
»

5:36 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home