"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Another local contest, another $20 gift certificate

Just wanted to take this opportunity to see how many competitive eaters are reading this by asking for a little advice. On July 22nd I'll be competing in a minor league eating contest called the "2006 Spot Hot Dog Inner-City Championship." (That's my title, not theirs. I think it's more commonly known as "the eating contest after the first band".)

Thing is, it's not a "how many can you eat in XX minutes" event. Instead, it's a "fastest to finish XX hot dogs" event. All speed, no quantity. And I'm assuming you have to have a clear mouth to finish. I don't really like speed-only events, but such is life on the lower rungs of the competitive eating ladder.
I guess that's typical of amateur contests. That method is easier to judge, easier to set-up and less of a logistical committment for the sponsor (in this case, Harrisburg's favorite hole-in-the-wall hot dog joint, The Spot). We could be eating four dogs or six dogs. Probably not more than ten. My kid brother will be competing as well, so there's a little bit of family bragging rights at stake here.

So really, I'm just looking for some tips on how to eat hot dogs reallyfast. I'm not looking for personal trade secrets here (feel free to keep those to yourself). Just "Dog 101" stuff. I'll be doing some experimenting on my own. Solomon method versus Japanese. Various degrees of dunking. Chipmunking versus a more traditional, picnic-style approach. You know, the usual drills. Thanks in advance!

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is this 8:09a.m. post the reason why you go to work early?

8:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hot dog only OR is it hot dog & bun

2:34 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Hot dog and bun. And there's a possibility that it might include The Spot's signature chili and onions topping.

7:12 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

By the way, a kind fellow competitive eating aficionado warned me that my participation in the IFOCE-sanctioned shoofly pie contest last month might make me ineligible for this local contest under IFOCE rules (I did sign something before the shoofly event, but I don't remember exactly what it said).

That's good advice, and I'll look into my eligibility for this local contest to make sure everything is kosher.

7:42 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey there, i'm basically in your same boat, except without the IFOCE contract.
since you're not top 20 they probably won't have a problem with you doing other contests they don't sponsor. AICE on the other hand let's you do whatever you want.
i'm actually doing a local contest this sunday..... they never provide any info before hand, ie. amount, time, etc.
best thing to do is call and ask, and even make a suggestion as to how they can run the contest best.
with toppings, don't dunk, eat and sip.
no toppings, i like to keep bun and dog together and dunk whole thing.
just my opinion.
and keep your plates, or whatever, because someone will undoubtedly claim they did more than they actually did.

9:59 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and good luck

9:59 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

even if you signed the IFOCE contract, entering almost any contest is fine. Except anything AICE-run. Clear it them, just a formality of an email, and you're good.

4:23 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Thanks Tut. I sent an email to Kate at the IFOCE to make sure I was okay to compete outside the circuit (no response yet).

And thanks to everyone who sent me tips via email. I'll let you all know how I do on the 22nd.

8:27 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

so, how'd you do?

5:39 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where is this contest?

9:50 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

whoops, didn't realize it didn't happen yet.

where is it?
can I come?

4:36 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Philly Guy - It's on Market Street in Harrisburg. Around 6ish ("right after the first band finishes their set").

I'm not even sure what the prize is. By talking about it here I may have made it sound bigger than it really is, but it's a really tiny contest. Probably not worth travelling from Philly for (and I'm not just saying that to keep the competition away...bring it on!).

5:18 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home