"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Monday, July 17, 2006

Another call up to the majors

Two days ago I received confirmation from Kate at the International Federation of Competitive Eating that I'll be participating in the Three Brothers World Pizza Eating Championship on August 12. That's going to be a great contest. $2,500 for first prize with a payout to fourth place.
Like the shoofly contest in June, I have no illusions of winning this event, especially considering its almost a certainty that Sonya Thomas will be competing as well. But I have to say, I'm inspired by the out-of-nowhere shoofly performance of Nathan Kunce -- the man who drove 500 miles ONE WAY from Cincinnati to compete in his first pro event and ended up taking third place over the likes of Crazy Legs Conti, Big Brian Subich, and Brickhouse Braunstein. Who knows what he did to prepare for that contest. Maybe he trained. Maybe he did stomach stretching exercises.

I did my first ever stretching exercise today -- drinking one gallon of water in two-and-a-half minutes. I did it at about 2 p.m. I had planned to do it during lunch and have the small beachball of water in my gut serve as an easy no-cal, mid-day meal but my love of actual food got the better of me.

I've heard most eaters do a gallon in one minute, but after the first 10 seconds I knew that wasn't gonna happen. Then I started thinking about the physiological make-up of the stomach and human body (which I admitted know very little about), and I thought: Does it really matter if I drink a gallon in three minutes versus one minute? Doesn't the water all go to the same place and do its "stretching magic" whether its there in 180 seconds or 60 seconds? I'm pretty sure it doesn't start leaving the stomach between minutes one and three, so I figured I was right in my half-witted assessment.

I can tell you from experience that one gallon of water starts leaving the stomach and entering the bladder (over and over again) only about 40 minutes after it's consumed. For the rest of the afternoon I could count on my body to remind me, almost like clockwork, when the clock struck the top of the hour. Ahh, the rigors of training.

16 Comments:

Blogger steakbellie said...

We're gonna have a blast! I'm bringing the whole family down cause really....who doesnt like pizza???

Water training is my least favorite of all the training techniques, and dont believe all the liars who say they can drink a gallon in a minute. I've only seen one guy ever do it....and that guy can eat 52 hotdogs....

11:18 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Awesome to hear you'll be there too! Yeah, Heather and I are making a weekend of it...getting a hotel in Arlington and doing the whole D.C. thing on Saturday and Sunday.

7:35 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Luck down there.

how'd you do with the local contest this past weekend?

I did 9 3/4 in 5 min. and won a table top propane grill.

8:26 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'll be down there too, there may or may not be a big bash in DC to celebrate pizza afterwards.

9:45 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dave - so how will you prepare for something like this? Do you know what to expect, food-wise, or will you go in it blind and just eat the pizza? Do you know what kind of pizza, you know, thin or thick? It will be interesting to watch this through you eyes!

10:30 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're going to try to make it, too! Though not as eaters, of course.

11:35 AM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Congrats on your win Tut! My dog eating contest is this weekend (Saturday). Hell, I don't even know what the prize is, but a little grill would be sweet.

As for the pizza, I'm not sure what to expect as far as thick or thin crust. The contest sponsor, Three Brothers, serves a traditional round pizza (thinner crust) and a square pizza which is slightly thicker. They'll probably go with the traditional round pie.

The biggest variable will be whether they allow crust dunking. That'll make a HUGE difference.

5:09 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you should dunk some pizza crusts beforehand and see how they are! That sounds pretty unappetizing!

5:43 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I didn't know about this! Good luck to you. Now pizza - that's something I can eat a lot of. Too bad I didn't know before. We could have done a training session together! -JP

8:20 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

I can always use a training partner (or as I like to call them, "People Who Know the Heimlich Maneuver"), and since the contest isn't until August 12, we've got plenty of time.

Palumbo's Pizza on Second Street will be my training pie of choice, starting with halves for speed and working my way up from there. Ironically (or is it coincidentally?), they're located right next to The Spot.

7:50 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best of Luck with pizza. One word of advice- Be particularly cautious with water training. I was doing 2-3 gallons a day before wing bowl, and I got very cold, stood up and nearly passed out. Moderation is a tough lesson for CE's

12:04 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's called water intoxication.

long story short, I learned about it in college.(not in class)

11:25 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

my girlfriend bought me "Eat this Book" this weekend and Badlands Booker talks about it in, i believe, chapter 2.
he uses the proper medical name, though.

11:27 AM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Thanks Savage and Tut.

Yeah, I've done some reading about the dangers of water training too. Something about how it can induce a coma or something. Scary stuff, so anyone who tries it should definitely be careful.

Savage, I'd like to swap some e-mails with you about water training, specifically if you found it effective, but also how you did it (one gallon in one minute, or just several minutes and how often). Reach me at shoffner1974@yahoo.com.

Only share what you want to share. If you've got training secrets that you'd like to keep to yourself, by all means feel free to!

3:37 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site lots of usefull infomation here.
»

1:49 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm I love the idea behind this website, very unique.
»

5:52 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home