"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Behold my leavened dough eating prowess!

Remember the Wonderbread challenge? The goal is to down two slices of plain, white bread in under two minutes. Sounds ridiculously simple, but it's not. Apparently the lack of butter, jelly, or any other spreadable topping of choice turns your mouth into a dry, barren wasteland, much like the saltine challenge (6 crackers in one minute). No dunking or drinking allowed either.

I floated the idea of the bread challenge around the office. A few people tried, but weren't able to do it. When one colleague was barely able to eat ONE slice in two minutes, I had almost given up hope of accomplishing the task myself.

So I did some strategizing and half-slice trials during my lunch break. Though it looked good on paper, rolling the bread into little balls and swallowing them whole doesn't work. In the end I just did it the old fashioned way -- shoving entire slices into my mouth and chewing like crazy. And it worked! I blew the challenge out of the water with a time of one minute and 37 seconds. Supposedly there's a bar in Boston that promises a free beer to anyone who can accomplish the task. Looks like I'm moving to Beantown.

technorati tags:

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Are the saltines next?

11:14 AM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Tried the saltines. Failed miserably three times in a row. Four was my best total. Good thing about the saltine challenge, you can do it several times without getting too full!

3:39 PM

 
Blogger Liz said...

can you use unsalted saltines or would that not help at all?

4:20 PM

 
Blogger Robyn said...

Man, I SOOO feel like I could do the saltine challenge. But I don't want to buy a pack of saltines to test it. Hm.

7:01 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home