"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Saturday, April 15, 2006

Cheesesteak in paradise

Just got back from Philadelphia last night. We went to check out the Body Worlds exhibit at the Franklin Institute and I have to admit, I don't think I'll be eating beef jerky any time soon. Two or three days at least.

Of course, any respectable Mega Muncher can't visit the City of Brotherly Love without digging into a few Philly cheesesteaks. I had planned to stop by Pat's and Geno's, but since I'd already been there, I decided instead to visit Rick's at the Reading Terminal Market. It's easily one of the top 10 cheesesteakeries in the city...at least judging by the autographed celebrity photos hanging on the walls (Al Roker, Bill Cosby, and an entire Beatles cover band!).

I ordered one with the works (that's "wit" onions, sweet peppers, mushrooms, and provolone cheese). Could've done without the sweet peppers, but all in all, it was a good sandwich. They make them with thinly sliced beef steaks. And you know it's real steak and not some processed beef paste mixture (I'm looking in your direction Steak-Ums) because you can see the beautiful marbling of fat weaving throughout the paper thin slices like little white rivers on a map of Beefakistan.

At some point, I wouldn't mind taking a day with some friends and doing the "Great Philly Cheesesteak Tour" (we'll come up with a better name before then). Twelve hours, ten stops, one mission: To find the best cheesesteak in Philadelphia. Sort of like a wine tasting tour, complete with tasting cards, a detailed list of criteria, and lots of Tums.

technorati tags:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home