"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Wednesday, April 19, 2006

6,500 calories a day and he still keeps his six-pack

MSNBC reported today the saga of 22-year-old Matt Chaffee of Idaho Falls, Idaho (that's him on the right, looking a bit like me but I outweigh him by about 80 pounds). Seems the poor guy, try as he may, is unable to maintain a weight above 100 pounds. And boy does he try. He's on a 6,500 calorie a day diet, composed mainly of protein shakes. That's two and a half times the normal daily allowance. How awesome is that?!

Okay, there is the whole "pyloric stenosis" thing, which prevents food from emptying out of the stomach. He's also got ulcers in his esophagus which restrict his ability to gain weight. But other than that, this guy has got it made! I mean, if this disease is contagious, I'm booking a flight to Idaho Falls tonight. Or at least a flight to Boise. But then my ass is in the first cab to Idaho Falls.

I'm kidding, of course. Sort of. But before I gave up on my dream of 24/7 mega munching without the risk of losing my waifish figure, I visited a few fast food websites to see what 6,500 calories a day looks like.

BURGER KING - 11 Whoppers with cheese (no mayo) (600 calories each) or 13 orders of large fries (500 calories each)

MCDONALDS - 154 Chicken McNuggets (42 calories each)

SUBWAY - 22 6-inch turkey breast and ham subs (no cheese) (290 calories each)

HARDEES - 4 and a half Monster Thickburgers (1410 calories each)

PIZZA HUT - 2 large Supreme Stuffed Crust Pizzas (400 calories per slice/8 slices per pie)

Of course, there's also plenty of fat and cholesterol packed into those meals, which is why I probably wouldn't gorge on fast food every day. Just a few times a week. At least until I got tired of greasy burgers and cheesy pizza...which would probably be never.

technorati tags:

2 Comments:

Blogger Liz said...

Sometimes I think of that scene in Groundhog Day where he's just going to town on the donuts because he knows it doesn't matter. It would be fun to have a "free" eating day. You could definitely do some damage at a street fair or something.

5:12 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

I've always maintained that there are two "free" eating days each year: Thanksgiving (of course) and Super Bowl Sunday. Some people like to throw in their birthday and/or Christmas, both of which won't get much argument from me.

6:40 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home