"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Saturday, September 09, 2006

Don't hate the belly, hate the game

The other day at work a "friend" called me fat. Actually, her almost exact words were, while patting me on the stomach: "Whoa! Looks like someone's putting on a few with this competitive eating thing!"

I didn't really care. Actually I laughed and said something about having just had lunch. But a few minutes later I thought, "Damn, that's kind of fucked up!" I mean, I wouldn't walk up to her, smack her on the ass and say, "Hey, looks like someone's been having a few too many dollar drafts and jalapeno poppers during happy hour!"

So I've gained a few pounds. It's not like I didn't know that before she told me.


My gain is actually in contrast to what normally happens to competitive eaters. I've heard from several competitors that after they take up the sport, many of them actually lose weight. But not me. I've gained about 10 or 15 pounds this year (up to about 185). I'm still, by most definitions, "skinny" but I am developing something resembling one of those little neck pillows around my midsection.

Still not anywhere near the doughy 210 pounds I topped out at during my sophomore year in college. Blame that on beer, all-you-can-eat cafeteria food, and a very sedentary lifestyle. The fact that I was approaching my mid-20s and saying goodbye to my super-charged metabolism probably didn't help either. Then I lost 50 pounds during my junior year just by cutting out the crappy cafeteria food and spending a few hours a week on a treadmill (the beer stayed).

So yeah. I'm going to try to keep my weight under 180. For every contest I compete in or three-pound burger challenge I attempt, I'll make it a point to step up the calorie watch and exercise regimen in the week prior and the week after. Hopefully that'll do the trick. At least enough to keep my co-workers off my back.

17 Comments:

Blogger RM1(SS) (ret) said...

You know, it's really hard to picture you at 180 pounds. Downright impossible to picture you at 210....

9:44 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just get back at her by doing the old, oh you're wearing that shirt today. Its not much but enough to drive a woman crazy.

11:16 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

It really all goes to my midsection until I hit about 190 and then it starts showing in my face.

Pete, that comeback sounds like a great mind game...I'll definitely have to try that.

3:38 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, see, y'all are much more polite that I would have been if I was Dave. I would have said, "Me? You're so fat when you sat on four quarters in the break room, you made a dollar."

8:16 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know what you are Dave -- that is totally messed up and especially unacceptable coming from a girl, seeing as women tend to be very weight conscious and tip toe with politeness around this subject. I hate how some women think that just because we are guys that our weight is not on our minds.

-- Jeremy

8:40 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Wow, thanks for the support guys. I think you all are more revved up about this than I am.

I should stick up for my co-worker just a little bit by admitting that she and I have a relationship that makes a comment like hers
somewhat okay. But only somewhat.

Although I'm not sure my "happy hour" rebuttal would be okay. And I'm pretty sure Princess's "quarters" comeback would land me in a full body cast.

9:50 PM

 
Blogger steakbellie said...

ha ha you're fat.

10:39 PM

 
Blogger steakbellie said...

of course I meant that in the nicest way possible...
:)

10:25 AM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Whatever asshole. I cried myself to sleep last night. I MIGHT eat something today. We'll see.

10:39 AM

 
Blogger steakbellie said...

how bout a cookie? i always feel better after a cookie.

10:50 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, she'd step to a playa for spitting the same game as her? Bogus, man. If you can't handle the hate, don't participate.

11:08 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

190 to 220 here.
it's easy to do when you stop going to the gym and start to eat competitively.
I'll get back in the gym soon enough. I'm saving for winter.
Losing weight is a great winter time activity.

3:02 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

she probably has office ass.

4:27 PM

 
Blogger Dan said...

I wish I had competitive eating to blame. I'm usually right around 185 but haven't been to the gym in a couple months thanks to the kitchen renovation, work and vacation. I also think that I've had at least one beer almost every night for the last three or four weeks due to party leftovers, the aforementioned vacation and the start of the goddamn NFL season. Luckily the house is beer free, though there are two HUGE bottles of wine...

5:36 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

I feel your "pain" on the beer, Dan. And Tut...losing weight in the winter? I like the idea of that, despite the Thanksgiving and Christmas breakdowns.

Summer is for BBQ's, beer, carny food, and ball games so I guess some gain in the warmer months is to be expected.

6:49 PM

 
Blogger steakbellie said...

I just reread this and I'd have to lose weight to hit a doughy 210. That sucks....

8:45 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

in direct response to this thread, I hit the gyme last night for the first time in 6 months.
9/12/06 weight -- 215
Dumbells -- So Heavy!

then I went home and stuffed my belly to get it stretched out for this weekend.

10:27 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home