"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Monday, June 26, 2006

Pizza, pizza! (Pizza...pizza...pizza...pizza...)

From one type of pie to another, the IFOCE has added the Three Brothers Pizza World Pizza Eating Championship to its list of upcoming events. The contest will be held on August 12 in Greenbelt, Maryland (just outside Washington D.C.) and packs a healthy $5,000 in prize money, including a rare payout to the fourth place finisher.

Maybe this is my event. Liz herself told me that I picked a tough debut food with shoofly pie and I have to agree. From shoofly pie to pizza pie? I mean, how can two foods be so different yet so similar? Both are pies, both have crusts, both have gooey centers, and both are adored by the Amish!

Despite their similarities, I have to think I'll have a better chance in this event. I've eaten entire large pizzas (with extra cheese and pepperoni) on several occasions with room to spare. The same can't be said of shoofly pie (I've done that...once). I've even eaten whole pizzas while not under the influence of alcohol or other substances!

Actually, if anyone can win this, it's Humble Bob or Eater X. The pair became the first duo ever to finish the 28-inch meat lovers Pizza Challenge at Paulie's Pizza in New Brunswick, NJ. Bob himself has a good set of photos here. Other contenders include the 62-year-old ageless wonder himself, Rich LeFevre, who holds the IFOCE pizza record with 7-and-a-half extra large Bacci pizza slices in 15 minutes. It's hard to say how large those slices are, but you can bet they're probably the size of traffic cones...if they were flat and covered with cheese and a zesty blend of herbs and spices. A year prior, Sonya Thomas set the women's mark with 6-and-a-half slices. Here's some pics of that event.

In fact, it's pretty much a guarantee that Sonya will be at this year's pizza contest. The event is, after all, taking place just 15 miles from her place of employment on the Andrews Air Force Base in Maryland. Hell, she can do it on her lunch break.

5 Comments:

Blogger Dan said...

Pizza eating, eh? I forwarded the link to my wife... she keeps talking about wanting to enter one of these things. Not sure what our plans are that day but if we're around maybe we'll trek down from Charm City to root you on.

7:34 AM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Yeah, you guys should both sign up to compete! Like a younger version of the LeFevres.

Either way, it'll be nice to see you. I'll be there, but it's not clear whether it'll be as an eater or a fan. It's funny, they're totally different experiences. In many ways, I prefer watching and talking with the eaters before and afterword. Blame it on the reporter in me. But the other half of me loves to be right in the middle of the action. I guess it's a great time either way.

8:23 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a friend who foolishly disclosed that pizza would be his food of choice if he was ever in an eating competition. We might just make him enter!

11:38 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Dave - do you have any idea about the pizza you'll be eating? Is it thick like pan pizza or thin like dominoes?

3:19 PM

 
Blogger Dave S. said...

Hard to say. I've scoured the net for pictures of Three Brothers Pizza, but couldn't find anything.

Their menu lists both a Sicilian variety (standard round pizza) and Neopolitan, which translates in the U.S. as a square pizza with thicker crust. For the sake of tradition, I would think they'd go with the round, thinner version for the competition.

4:58 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home