"It is possible to die from eating. But I think to be professional means you don't die." (Takeru Kobayashi)

Tuesday, May 06, 2008

DOG FOOD AND NAKED BOWLING

On Saturday, Beau and I ran a lot. We also took the bus a lot. I did more running than I've done in a long time. I did more bus taking than I've done in my entire life. It was all for City Chase, the one-day "Fear Factor meets Amazing Race" event I was telling you about the other day. 250 teams, one winner.

We finished 69th, with a time of 4 hours, 59 minutes. We're happy with that. We finished all 10 of our tasks and still had time for beers and burgers at the afterparty. Many teams didn't even finish their tasks, but they still had fun. I was hoping for some eating challenges, and I got one at a pet store on Market Street in Old City. We had to match photos of ten obscure dog breeds with their breed name. We got two wrong (what the hell is a Borzoi?), which means I had to eat some dry dog food. Get more than four wrong and you eat wet dog food.

Here's a shot of me in action (no hands was the rule). It actually tasted pretty good. They were gourmet dog treats. Sorta like low grade beef jerky.

A full set of pics can be seen here. The captions explain it all, but we didn't get pictures of everything. We shot hoops at the YMCA in South Philly, got piggy back rides from strangers, found clues at the Eastern State Penitentiary, got eight-foot pythons stuffed down our shirts (video soon to be posted on YouTube) and played Twister in the park with strangers. We also did some Naked Bowling.

8 Comments:

Blogger Carey said...

How did you and Beau get started in this? I never heard of it before, and it went around the whole city?

3:32 PM

 
Blogger Mega Munch said...

It went around most of the city. Sorry I didn't tip you guys off about it ahead of time. It was sort of a last minute thing for us too. If you're really intrigued by it, they're doing an NYC City Chase in June and one in Boston in July. We're talking about doing the Boston one. It's a lot of fun.

It started and ended at Love Park by City Hall. We traveled about 15 blocks south to Christian Street for the YMCA challenge. Then as far east as the Delaware River and about 15 blocks north to the penitentiary.

4:26 PM

 
Anonymous Philly Guy said...

I really wanted to do it this year, but I had family events to attend. Next year I'll join you for sure if you have a spot.

2:08 AM

 
Blogger Carey said...

how tricky were the clues for where you had to go? Were you allowed a personal vehicle?

8:51 AM

 
Blogger Mega Munch said...

The clues were clever, but not too difficult to decipher, especially if you had access to Google via a Blackberry, which we did.

You were allowed to use the internet and you could even phone friends for help but the only transport you could use were your feet and SEPTA (bus or subway).

8:54 AM

 
Blogger la beauheme said...

What a great day. On top of all that Dave described here, I won a palm centro and watched the Flyers advance (from a barstool at Drinkers) while getting tips from the CityChase winner.

Now that we've done one, I know we can place in the top %10.

There's blood in the water...Boston, here we come!

9:25 AM

 
Blogger Payne said...

Go Penquins!

12:44 PM

 
Blogger Carey said...

good luck guys.

9:57 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home